Saturday, September 17, 2011

On Audiobooks...

I love audiobooks.  Love em.  Best thing ever for running and for road trips.  I can just zone out and nect thing I know, I'm done with the trip.

Best ones yet are the Jim Butcher Dresden Files. James Marsters.  He does an AMAZING job with the readings.  Someone else is doing the latest one, Ghost Story.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Good actor doing it (John Glover), but.... just not the same, you know?

One thing I have come to believe - a good reader is critical.  And changing that reader mid-series sucks.  Especially when the next reader is well, not as good...

I'm listening to the Michael Connelly books, somewhat randomly.  I'm bouncing back and forth between Mickey Haller books and Harry Bosch novels.  After 6 books with one reader, we're on to a different one with book 7....  And some of the voices he does (Bosch in particular) are rather... annoying...  and not in keeping with the previous body of audio-work...

Definitely takes away from the listening enjoyment...

(and yes, I know there are 2 or 3 other people upcoming who read this series as it goes on, the author included)...

On a side note, books that feature songs/singing (Guy Gavriel Kay)?  Please pick a reader with a nice singing voice.  Please?

No comments: